Thursday, September 17, 2009

our h.o.m.e. on the range

Peachy clouds slowly crawl across the sky as the sun slowly disappears in the west. The Tetons are slightly visible in the middle of the picture peeking over another mountain range.

I was a city girl when I came here thirty-seven years ago and I was young! Young enough to be on the dumb-side and hardly knew Idaho existed. I remember saying to Bob once, "Do they have running water?" and I was dead-serious!
Upper Snake River Valley (looking south/east)

TETONS - looking southeast from the middle Butte. "The Butte" - it's a dormant volcano - maybe I shouldn't even think that because as soon as you do, it will come back to life! This area is covered with volcanic rock. We're not far from Yellowstone and just happens to be one of the most active geo-thermal areas in the world. So, it would be logical that more volcanos existed nearby. You can hike down into the crater - it does give you an erie feeling to be there. Not too far from here - going west - you can visit Craters of the Moon national monument - talk about erie ! ! !
Tetons - My Home


My town from a distance. My assistant (that would be Bobby) and I are standing on the middle Butte looking east. The sun was almost completely gone when we shot this. When I was younger, I always thought the vegetation in this valley was ugly and too 'desert' for my taste. Well, I have to apologize to the vegetation because I think it's beyond beautiful and lush in it's own special way. So, in front of 'the world', "I hear-by formally apologize vegetation, I promise to never bad-mouth you again!"
Upper Snake River Valley - My home

Looking north
Upper Snake River Valley (looking north)

Looking north - elk in meadow
Upper Snake River Valley - looking north (elk grazing in meadow/lower-left)

Our town was so small when I arrived back in 1972 and it's almost doubled in size! But, you know what, we still look pretty small.
Upper Snake River Valley (looking east)


Snake River Plain - looking southeast
Snake River Plain

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. You must be a pofessional(misspelt on purpose) You must also have a great assistant. You are as beautiful as your pictures too.

the Provident Woman said...

What beautiful pictures!

hillary barney said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. What a beautiful little town rexburg is. I miss the sunsets. Rexburg has the most beautiful sunsets.

The Clark said...

incredible. the shots. your talent. the view. the town. thanks for sharing.