I have to get this down in writing before I forget how great is was - you might even call it hilarious - you be the judge:
My mom had some major physical challenges this past year and quite frankly has done a great job dealing with everything. My dad has been gone for many years but, she hasn't had to face them alone, she has her family.
Increasingly, I have noticed you have to repeat things at least a few times before she can understand what you're saying! "Mom, let's go get your hearing checked - maybe you could use a hearing aid!" I can't tell you how many times I said that with really no interest what-so-ever on her part! Frankly, I've suggested many things with no interest on her part! So, I generally don't say much any more unless she asks for help!
One day, on our way to town, Mom mentioned she was hearing some strange sounds when she was trying to sleep at night. She got up, looked around, looked under her bed but could find nothing. It continued hour after hour until she finally left her bedroom and resigned herself to a night on the couch. But, the sound continued - relentless, never-ending! Since she had been having trouble with her ears, she finally decided that this was just another one-of-those getting old things that was going to continue to drive her crazy! Since my opinion rarely mattered, I didn't say much! Week after week she continued to mention her new condition! I really didn't say much other than to make sure she wasn't in any pain - she wasn't. Poor mom!
I went to town one day to fetch Mom some medicine from the pharmacy and plopped down in a chair to visit as I wasn't pressed for time that day. As we were visiting I heard a beep coming from the direction of the hallway. Immediately I recognized the sound and said, "Mom, the batteries in your smoke alarm are low - you better get that battery changed!" Like a deer in headlights, she didn't move a muscle yet her eyes rolled to one side to look at me, "YOU HEARD THAT?" she said slow and deliberate? "Yes I did? It's your smoke alarm - it does that when your battery is low to remind you to replace it." It seemed like a long time before she even moved a muscle - I could tell she was thinking! "You really can hear that?" "Mom, is that the sound you've been hearing all these months? It's your SMOKE ALARM!!!" The relief (and embarrassment) was unmistakable on her face. It was over - the mystery was over! She still asks you to repeat everything you say but I'll bet you $10 bucks she remembers when it's time to change her smoke alarm batteries!
(Disclaimer: No grandma was harmed in the telling of this story!)
4 comments:
That is a funny story! How fun to have your cute mom still with you!
I love it! So glad you wrote it down and posted a picture of the two of you.
awww - such a nice and funny story. LOVE the photo.....and the story.
tee hee...what a story. :) your mom is cute. ♥
Post a Comment