Monday, June 27, 2011

oh grandma!

I was getting my delicious breakfast ready (sauteed mushrooms, scrambled eggs and fruit dish) when the phone call came and my mom was on the other end. She was in terrible pain as I could tell in her voice and she asked if I had some ibuprofen. I told her yes but could it wait until I finished breakfast? No! I could tell the pain, what ever it was, was not going to wait. So, I dropped everything and went over to her house where I found her laying on the stairs unable to talk because she was shaking and in extreme pain! Her visiting teacher walked in after me (her hubby is a doctor) and together we loaded her into the car and drove to the hospital a block away!

They assessed her condition and found that she had ZERO circulation in the leg/foot and no pulse in the foot either and immediately loaded her into an ambulance and off to Idaho Falls they drove with the siren blasting! I met her at the hospital and the doctor said they were taking her into surgery to look for a blood clot which he eventually found and also found hardening of the arteries. He felt confident that there was enough blood flow to the leg. Had she waited just 2 hours longer, she would have lost her foot and possibly her leg not to mention her life had that blood clot gotten loose! (SPIRITUAL NOTE: She said that while she was waiting for me to come she prayed and said, "Heavenly Father please help me!" She had the impression to take (2) aspirin and call Carrie Mills (her friend at church). Little did she know, she was saving her life by taking that aspirin - as it thins your blood and prevents more clots!)

Surgery went well, doctor came in to visit and said he got the clot with his probe, however, he could not get the probe to go past her knee (should have been able to reach all the way to her foot) as it was clogged with plaque! Long story-short, all went well and after 5 days in the hospital, we are now home and trying to get her back on her feet - staying with her until she can do some basic things by herself. It will take some time and patience but I think she'll bounce back! Just like my dad would always say, "this getting OLD is getting OLD!"

2 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my! that sounds so very scary. I am sending good healing thoughts her way. :)

been missing you!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

WOW, what a story. So glad you are able to help your mother, and that the Spirit guided everyone in this situation to bring her to the hospital in good timing.