Sunday, July 3, 2011

home health care, berta-style (part 1)

“This ain’t fun.
But you watch me, I’ll get it done.”
― Jackie Robinson

I AM NOT advertising in any way, fashion or form, but for the past week I have been doing "berta-style-home-health-care" for my mother who had emergency surgery Monday of last week. Dude, at this point, I am ready for retirement, ready for greener pastures! My rational is that I spent 37 years raising 7 children and I'm DONE - so I thought. Guess what? Life throws you a curve and I'm right back into 24/7 caring for another human being, namely - my mother!

I won't sugar-coat it - it's been hard and even harder on her! Life is a B*%CH sometimes (I'm not a searing-woman) but actually, that's what life is all about - twists and turns! I think I was feeling a bit too comfortable lately - getting to exercise, getting a new mountain bike, making plans for my July vacation from guitar and wedding in California in August - and so most, if not all, will be put on hold until Grandma Alice is up on her feet again!

My mom is 87 years old and I have suppressed, for some time, what will eventually come - thinking she would continue on as usual being her independent, feisty self! Things can change in a heart-beat, in an eye-blink, in a nano-second! This blood clot that found it's way to her leg has been a bugger - recovery-wise. The will to come back and fight for what remains of your life is hard. Blood thinners, twelve different kinds of medication and lack of appetite (I think I would be exaggerating to say she is getting 200 calories a day - if we're lucky!) plays havoc with a body - not to mention the 29 lbs of fluid she picked up in the hospital thanks to IV fluids.

I feel fortunate that my 87 year old mother has a good friend she walks with each and every day - her name is Ruth and she's 93 years old! Ruth called my mom tonight and she (Ruth) sounded like a young 65 year old on the phone full of energy and life! How cute is that? Ruth is computer-savy and has a Facebook account! Well, I think the conversation was a good one as they spoke on the phone. My mom decided to come out of her room, sit in the wheel chair in the front room and read a book on my Kindle. She hasn't read a thing for over a week and now she's got her head buried in the 'pages' of the Kindle with renewed interested! A big shout-out to Ruth!

3 comments:

The Gathering Place said...

Caring for an aging parent is a hard thing. They are not always ideal patients. Good luck and have a great 4th!

Jonna said...

Oh Berta...I sure hope that your sweet Mom springs back soon. Sending both of you loves and hugs!

Pondside said...

I'm so glad you stopped by, because it encouraged me to come over and read some of your posts. I'll be back, because I'll be your newest follower. I like your take on life and look forward to reading more.